Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Divorce

Perhaps I should explain. (Or perhaps not).

A few months ago, I went looking for my happy place. I changed my hair. I started exercising. But, in the end, it was all bullsh*t.

Because my happy place is wherever my husband (H) isn't.

He has grown to hate me, over the years. Not a red-hot florid hate that all can see, but a soft delicate pink of a hate that seeps and sinks into everything until... until. Until I hate myself, more than I thought possible. And nothing that I can do can ease that ache.

But then. Because there always is a "but then" with these stories, isn't there?

But then I met people and made friends. And I wish - I dearly wish - I could throw in a line such as "I met someone new and fell in love."  But I met people. And I made friends. And I made new connections with people who didn't hate me.

And I should add - I am the most awkward person on the planet. No, seriously. I don't meet people. I don't make friends. H has consistently chided and mocked me for this. He has, in the past, introduced me saying, "this is Nica and she has no friends." (Awesome, right?) So the fact that I had people, someone in my life who saw me, liked me and with whom I connected - that was huge. That is huge.

And I asked for a divorce.

Hell, I more than asked. I filed the paperwork.

(Wow).

Now I need to write up the divorce agreement. Which is stupidly hard to do and I find myself avoiding. But I have to do it. (I KNOW). And I wish - I dearly wish - I could throw in a line such as "and now I am happy." But I'm not. Yet. But I know - I truly know - that this is the right thing to do.

And. By the way?

It's my birthday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww! It's rather sad that it had to get to that point, but with the fragile dynamics of relationships nowadays, you can't really escape that kind of inevitability. Perhaps, you can turn everything around, which is always a welcome possibility. However, the question is whether or not you want to. It seems to me that you have pretty much decided. The best thing you can do at this point is to ensure that you have your prenuptials and assets secured. That is a lot more weighty than the phrasing of the reason or the argument, but I guess you can cross the bridge when you get there. All the best to you!

Gregg Jackson @ Sherrill Cameron