Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas with and without

This is the first Christmas with Spunketta. This is the first Christmas without Mama. And while the former is joyous, the latter threatens to crush the whole holiday.

Mama used to love the holiday. The lights on the tree. The ribbons on the gifts. All of it.

Christmas was always important to her. Before I knew H and after Mama was sick, they kept celebrating Christmas. H would go out and buy his own present, sometimes even wrapping his own present, only to open it in front of her on Christmas morning.

They say that Christmas is for children, but Mama was a child in that sense. And when I came on the scene, being her partner in crime (her partner in Christmas?), she was so happy. I was happy.

I miss my partner

2 comments:

docgrumbles said...

My grandmother loved Christmas, and when there were no children in the family and she was still with us, the holiday was all for her.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas, perhaps with plenty of Mama memories to share.

Bea said...

Bound to be a shock to the system. I hope you survived the season ok.

Bea