Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Say "Thank You"

This morning, I saw a pregnant woman on the subway.

I was sitting and she was not. I would have offered her my seat, but the man seated next to me (and closer to her) offered her his seat.

"No," she said. "I'm not going to fit there." She frowned and stamped her foot a bit as she said it.

Now, this woman was not only pregnant. She was PREGNANT. A large-ish woman to begin with, the tell tale baby belly jutted dramatically from under her too-small coat.

So, to be honest, she probably wouldn't fit comfortably. But, to be honest, she would have FIT.

The man entreated her, and I scrunched myself to the side, trying to look as small as possible.

"It's okay," he assured her.

"I'm not going to *beeping* fit there," she repeated, adding a profanity that shocked me.

I got up, so that now she had two seats to stretch out on. And stretch out she did. Sighing deeply and settling herself across two seats. Adjusting her purse in the space left so no one could possibly encroach on what was left of the second seat.

"People don't usually give a *beeping* *beep,*" she said. Not thanks or a wordless smile or anything etiquette (or my grandmother) would deem appropriate for the situation.

"People don't usually give a *beeping* *beep.*" She looked around calmly as she said it, unfazed by using (in rapid succession) words that would have necessitated an R-rating. "People are such *beepers.* The world is such *beepity beep.*" {Insert your favorite invective}

And all I could think was -- this is your response to people being NICE to you. What the beep?

Annoys me greatly when the WRONG women are pregnant.

4 comments:

docgrumbles said...

Today a saw a woman in the supermarket tell her toddler to "Shut the f*c* up!"

Yep, the Wrong Women Club seems full to capacity sometimes.

Somewhat Ordinary said...

Couldn't agree more!

Now I will say that I sort of used some choice words last year when my best friend and I were waiting to be seated at a restaurant. We were both 8 months pregnant and had her 2 year old with us. There were a couple of benches that were full and a nice man got up so that the 3 of us could sit. I got to the seat and my friend was ushering her busy toddler over. Before she could get to the bench a very rude woman jumped in. I said that my friend was going to be sitting there and she TOTALLY ignored me. Her daughter said something to her too and she said she didn't care because she was tired. I made sure I said very loud and clear that I had "just encountered the bleeping rudest person ever." Thankfully there was another nice couple (well their buzzer was going off anyway) that gave us their bench.

People nere cease to amaze!

Fiddle1 said...

That enrages me!

Bea said...

Oh my goodness! I would have ended up feeling sorry I'd moved. Of course it seems like people "don't give a bleep" if you expect the world to revolve around you without giving any acknowledgement back.

Bea